About The Visiting Artist Program
The Visiting Artist Program is a professional development opportunity for emerging and experienced visual artists. Visiting Artists take part in a summer residency program with the Torpedo Factory Artists, a juried membership organization with more than 275 active visual artists. Selected Visiting Artists are provided studio space in one of the 82 publicly accessible working studios at the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria, VA, where they can display and sell original work while interacting with summer visitors. The deadline for Summer 2018 is February 19, 2018.
Applicants may apply for a summer residency of 1 – 4 months. Each visiting artists’ work is self-directed during this period, but the creative projects must be compatible with available working studio spaces and facilities.
Visiting artists occupy studios temporarily vacated by resident artists and have use of half of the display space as well as a dedicated work area. Visiting artists pay half of the rent of the studio (ranging $180 – $480 per month). Expenses related to materials, equipment, transportation, housing, etc. are the responsibility of the visiting artists.
Also as part of the program, visiting artists are asked to give a presentation or demonstrations to elaborate on their work.
- The Visiting Artist Program is open to all emerging and experienced visual artists over the age of 21 who are not currently leaseholders with the Torpedo Factory Art Center. (Torpedo Factory Artists Association associate artists are eligible to participate and it will not affect associate status.)
- Applicants provide evidence of artistic accomplishment through submitted images (5 – 8) and a completed online application.
By applying, artists agree to:
- Work in front of, and interact with, the public
- Work in the studio five days a week during the period of the residency, including at least one weekend day.
- Commit to follow the Visiting Artist Program requirements, including a short public presentation.
Selections will be made in a two-step process. The jurors will review all applications and select a group of finalists based on evidence of artistic merit and promise as shared in the application.
The Visiting Artist Program Committee will then match as many finalists as possible to spaces available, taking into account the applicant’s requirements, attributes of the specific studios available, and the goal of providing a range of media experiences to our visiting public.
Studios differ widely in size, configuration, and features (e.g., ventilation), and they are not completely sealed off from each other, enabling sound and odor to travel widely throughout the building. As such, it is important for applicants identify equipment and materials to be used during the residency.
Application Deadline: February 19, 2018
The VAP Summer Residency Program is supported by the Torpedo Factory Art Center and City of Alexandria Office of the Arts.